Tuesday, September 22, 2009

09-22-2009 Letter Home

Huge Bottle of Coca-Cola!

09-22-2009


Hey everyone!
I am sending a letter later, and hopefully some pictures. I also printed up everyone’s emails so that I can read them later. Sorry that I won't be able to respond to them immediately, but this way I have more time to type. Right. So, in Brazil, everything is much cheaper. The exchange rate is about two reals (hay-ayes) per dollar, but I can buy a 1.5 liter bottle of Coca-Cola for two reals! They also love large bottles for water, soda, guarana, everything. I've seen people carrying around HUGE three liter bottles around! Even old ladies! Well, it's not everyone, but it is interesting to see when you do.

Continued routine at the CTM. But, I will say, I feel I have crossed some kind of barrier and everything is coming together. I'm having much longer more complex conversations with the Brazilians. Its great! I don't think its happened to anyone else in my district yet, and I think it's because I've been so devoted to learning as much as I can, and because I've spent a lot more time talking to the Brazilian Elders and Sisters in the hallways, in the cafeteria, etc. An answer to my prayers. I can imagine myself speaking this language fluently and it is very fun and exciting! One thing I was talking to Connor about was that we don't feel we are speaking Portuguese, most of the time. It is simply The Language in our minds. I know when I was learning French, I knew when I was speaking French... but when I switch into speaking Portuguese, it fits into a completely different category in my mind, like switching gears rather than switching cars, you know? I like it.

It has been cold and rainy for a week. Eh. Better soak it in before I get to Fortaleza.

Humorous facet of my life here: my teacher Irmao Mario. He speaks probably the worst English of all the Instructors here at the CTM, and he is my teacher. Funny, nice guy, and he was a good missionary, but our district sometimes takes advantage of him. The other day we taught him how to say "That´s What She Said", and he has been using it a great deal in his other class (each instructor has two different districts they teach, one in the morning, one in the evening). So the other district comes over to our room and they are kind of wide-eyed. "Why did you teach him that!? He just keeps saying it every ten minutes in response to random sentences!" I don't think he understands how it is funny to Americans, because whenever he delivers the punch line, he just puts his head into his hands and shakes his head back and forth... its very funny. We also taught him how to say "Chicks Dig Me", and now he used the word "Dig" for "Like" all the time. Ah... maybe we shouldn't teach the Brazilians slang, but for the record, it wasn't me who pioneered the idea.



I saw a lot of my American and Brazilian friends leave yesterday. Monday night is so sad! Too bad my P-Day is the day after because you guys have to hear me whine all the time.

I did get Dad´s letter and Mom´s as well, but only about an hour ago. Just in time. Don't worry at all about getting letters to me late, I'll still be able to write you about things. I need to get used to it anyway... I can imagine after a year people wont want to send a letter to me EVERY week, you know?

Thank you so much for all your advice. My parents are the best. I love the things you wrote to me, thanks. And thanks for keeping the blog up at PersonaVita, that cant be very easy.

Ill be back later with a short message and some pictures, and you'll get a letter in the mail sometime this week, hopefully. I love you all! Keep sending me comments from PV if you can, I really enjoyed those.

Much love,
Elder B. Carpenter

Later that day ------


09-22-2009
1:22pm (SP time)

Hey Mom! Don't have much time... they didn't have Snickers but they gave me Twix instead, they were awesome, split them with Connor. Thanks so much! How much did they cost you? Hopefully not too much, because there were only three large Twix bars, which is great but I don't know if they charge you twenty bucks or not.

No pictures from you guys other than the two you sent me Mom over e-mail. Don't know how that works but supposedly I should get them with my missionties letter. Didn't get the picture from Dad showing our old room as his office. I want to see that one!

Trying to get pictures to you but it is difficult... Hopefully they got through.

Much love! Chat with ya next week and look forward to my letter!

- Elder B. Carpenter

---hand written letter received later----

                                                                                 09-20-2009 through 09-22-2009

Dear Family and Friends,

I begin this letter to you on a Sunday evening in a sober mood, listening to classical music by a window, overlooking Sao Paulo. There is a bit of sickness going around our district, and it hit me this morning as I awoke to incessant electronic bleeping. Sore throat, headache…symptoms of a virus that affects the body for a good three-week period, I’m told.

I wish to open up to you all a bit, and I hope I will continue to do throughout my mission here in Brazil. I want everyone that would worry about me to know I’m doing fantastic. In every interview with the District Leader or letter to our Branch Presidency I report my happiness here and thankfulness for my learning ability. I am truly blessed with a work ethic and focus that I feel many do not have here. I don’t say that with pride, please understand me, but because I know and have talked to quite a few people that have broken down in some way or another. I don’t want to speak negatively of the CTM experience! This place is amazing!

Such a wonderful spirit accompanies us through our studies. Our leaders and teachers are powerful, talented individuals, loving people that have been selected specifically for our time here. But, we are working constantly, and much is expected of us, and our behavior. Missionaries are held to a high standard of obedience to various rules, and this is designed so that we can maximize our ability to call upon the Holy Ghost, which is absolutely necessary in the field. This high workload and high standard catches some off guard. The swimmer who isn’t aware of the swift current in the river will likely have his courage and confidence shaken. I am so blessed that my parents and relatives and leaders made such a big deal out of this experience so that I was motivated to prepare myself.

Anyway, what difficulties I am having are trivial day-to-day problems, the challenges of the routine. They aren’t crises, existential, emotional, or otherwise. I feel I’ve emerged safely from the initial danger zone of getting used to a radically different way of life. Sometimes I’m embarrassed when I cannot converse well with the Brasileiros, or exhausted after a long day of class. Sometimes I have a misunderstanding with another Elder, or I feel I’m being treated poorly. But you know what, at the end of the day, I fill my mind with the living water of the Lord Jesus Christ, and I ponder about the awe-inspiring everlasting Atonement… and that is what keeps a pensive smile on my face.

I’ve found myself delving into the scriptures lately, seeking treasures. My patriarchal blessing said that I would develop a love of the holy scriptures… are we beginning to see the fruition of that blessing? Ah… the missionary that devotes himself to the battle between good and evil without the scriptures must enter without arms or armor. I now wish I had prepared myself more so, but I’m doing my best to make up for that mistake.

As with the language, I feel as if I have surpassed a barrier in the last few days. Everything in my mind is starting to click together… and the result is the beginning of fluency. My conversations with the Brazilians are growing much longer, and they understand me more easily. This could not have worked in four weeks without the Spirit. I surprise myself constantly when I remember a word or how to conjugate a verb in order to produce meaning. This is awesome. In a few more months, what other miracles will be worked upon me? I have found a place most desirable, a place where sensations only normally experienced in the echoes of dreams are made tangible and lasting, a place where the winds of destiny are at my back. Awesome.

I just received MissionTies letters from Dad and Mom today, P-Day morning! This P-day was great … my entire room decided not to go to breakfast, so we all slept in til 9 o’clock! For once, it felt normal to wake up.

I was able to receive a letter from Randy, Codee and Jamison this week. It was great! Jamison drew me an awesome picture. Thanks so much guys! And Grandma, thank you for the email and the advice about vitamins. I am taking them a little more regularly now that I came down with a little bit of a virus. Seems to be helping. Congratulations to the Whitworth family! A new addition to the family!

Congratulations to Kevin and Becky too, Jonah… awesome name to compliment Noah! That is so exciting! I hope those kids are loving him.

Dad, thanks for the idea of a prayer journal, I’ll have to include that idea into my spiritual journal/study journal. Thanks for the advice concerning basketball. I am getting better, but whenever someone is playing volleyball or going to the weight room, I usually join them. But I definitely want to become good at basketball if I can, in order to join social functions. I also think I’ll pick up playing the piano out here. I’d like just a few cool memorized songs to whip out during parties or get-togethers. That’s the kind of guy I’d like to be. I’m also exercising a lot more, so I might get back home and actually want to hit the gym with you guys in the morning.

It doesn’t seem that the pictures of your new office got through MissionTies. I did get your picture attachments though on myldsmail.com, so maybe use that instead. Don’t feel bad…I’m very glad you are able to have a large office now with a good view! I am glad you are enjoying it.

Thanks for the news Mom! Thanks for that awesome journal entry. I will enjoy pondering about it and may give a more detailed response later. Lynsey looks so pretty! I hope she had fun at homecoming. As for the world news, that 9/12 demonstration sounds interesting, but the others not so much. But keep it coming as filler. And I love you so much. I am so amazingly grateful for my wonderful family. You guys are my best friends and I miss you so much.

Did Connor tell you about last Wednesday? I can’t wait to send my journal to you in a couple of months so you can get more details about day-to-day things, but the gist of it is that for some reason there was a problem with Connor and I’s visas on the day our districts needed to go to the police station to be registered as permanent residents or whatever they call us here… so we don’t get arrested for being here too long. So our districts left without us on the bus and Connor and I got to be companions for a few hours! The CTM was basically empty and we spent our time talking, taking pictures, and we got to sort mail for everybody. That was a fun day.




Hmmm…. I got to get this letter on its way. I hope I can get you some pictures. By the way, I found that last note card in my jeans…Lynsey… that was funny. Laughed quite a bit. You guys are awesome.

I love you so much! Friends too!

-Elder B. Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment